Thursday, October 06, 2011

Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011: Poetry Workshop: Closure, Ways to End a Poem

My fall poetry workshop for OLLI at Coastal Carolina University is coming up soon, and as always I'm looking forward to it. Here are the particulars:
____________________

Poetry Workshop: Closure, Ways to End a Poem
Sat., Nov. 5
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Waccamaw Higher Education Center
160 Willbrook Blvd., Pawleys Island, SC
Susan Laughter Meyers, instructor

Much advice about ending a poem, though helpful, is general:
trust your reader; trust the poem; it should be as long as it
needs to be.
So what, exactly, do you do? When is the poem
over? This workshop will explore answers to those questions
through discussion and writing activities. A class packet is included.
Bring an in-progress poem of yours. Within two weeks
after the workshop concludes, you have the option of emailing
a poem to the instructor for feedback. Lunch can be brought
or bought nearby.
Registration, $30 -- call 843-349-6584
Class code: –XWRIT 524 W03
_____________________

This subject is one that has interested me for a long time. In fact, it was the topic of my MFA craft seminar at Queens University of Charlotte. I've kept adding resources to my class materials since then, and it's a treat for me to have a chance to teach a workshop on closure.

No comments: